First look: the FreedomPop V7

Originally published at: https://bayton.org/2017/03/first-look-the-freedompop-v7/

You may have heard of FreedomPop at some point, they’re an MVNO offering free (as in beer) minutes, texts and data every month with no strings attached (unless you count the requirement for their app as part of the deal). They launched in the UK in 2015 and have been slowly making a name for themselves both for the free service and their low-cost plans for when the free tier is not quite enough. I’ve been making use of their services infrequently over the last couple of years for test devices and tablets which mostly live near WIFI, but may occasionally pop out of the house with me. It’s incredibly convenient to have a service that’s always there when I need it, but not costly when I don’t. They recently launched the FreedomPop V7, a 5 inch Android Marshmallow handset preloaded with FreedomPop’s service and apps. It’s not the first FreedomPop-branded device (well, perhaps in the UK it is) as they’ve dabbled in the past, but they’ve been more often associated with the sale of refurbished devices through their website. With the launch of this new device, I thought I’d jump at the opportunity to take it for a spin and publish my thoughts. Hardware The device itself is a fully unlocked V7 Zyro which has been subject to no additional FreedomPop branding and can be purchased on Amazon for under £100. FreedomPop however offered it bundled with their £11.99/month Premium 2GB plan (the first month is free and can be cancelled…