Hands on with the Galaxy TabPro S

Originally published at: https://bayton.org/2017/02/hands-on-with-the-galaxy-tabpro-s/

The 2-in-1 market has been heating up tremendously over the last few years with contenders such as Microsoft, HP, Asus, Lenovo and many, many more all turning out impressive devices that challenge the traditional laptop-tablet divide. Although ceasing production of laptops, Samsung’s tablet offerings have gone from strength to strength, arguably being ahead of the game for a number of years. Although not the first Windows tablet Samsung has released, the converged market offered a perfect opportunity for them to bridge the divide by bundling a keyboard with their latest offering. With it they’ve secured a nice corner of the market for themselves with what I’d consider to be one of the thinnest and lightest 2-in1’s I’ve ever used. Over the New Year the price of the TabPro S was significantly reduced (no doubt to clear stock for the yet unannounced TabPro S2) from a whopping £849 down to a far more reasonable £500. After giving up on the Linx 12V64 I jumped at the chance to try one out. Now over a month later, here are my thoughts. Hardware Like many Samsung tablets, the TabPro S is a mixture of metal and plastic; while the outer rim of the device feels exceptionally premium with its aluminium frame, the back is the typical, slightly flexible plastic. Admittedly it’s almost never seen with the keyboard in place but at the price Samsung launched the TabPro for I’d have liked to see an all-metal finish akin to the Surface. Unlike the Surface however, the…