Hands on with the Linx 12V64

Originally published at: https://bayton.org/2016/12/hands-on-with-the-linx-12v64/

A few weeks back I got my hands on the new 12″ 2-in-1 from Linx. For a very attractive £200 I received a Surface-esque tablet and (included!) folio keyboard with the following specs: 1920 x 1200 FHD display 4GB RAM 64GB eMMC storage Quadcore Atom x5 On top of this, it benefits from a full-size USB 3.0 port, micro-USB port, micro-HDMI and a microSD slot. For a while I’ve hunted for a decent, portable device; my primary laptop has for years been a 17″ HP which feels and looks like a pavement slab, one which I loath to take with me when I travel. Prior to finding the Linx I’ve been using a 10″ Asus Chromebook Flip and while that has some uses (certainly more recently), I ultimately find it a tad too small most of the time. Too many budget devices have been following the Chromebook line of devices, shipping with 2GB/32GB (RAM/Storage, respectively) by default. I appreciate Microsoft have worked hard at making the experience not suck on devices with poor specs, but it’s refreshing to see a 4GB/64GB model for the people who expect to do more than browse the web without breaking the bank. So on paper the Linx sounds fantastic. But how does it fare in day to day usage? Hardware The tablet is well built, boasting a solid metal frame and glass front covered by a factory-fitted screen protector (thank you Linx!). The bundled keyboard has a material feel to it, similar to that of…