Hands on with the Nextcloud Box

Originally published at: https://bayton.org/2016/10/hands-on-with-the-nextcloud-box/

If you’ve been here before you’ll have no doubt seen any one of several mentions I’ve made of Nextcloud; it’s a fantastic self-hosted platform and my go-to when recommending a do-it-yourself alternative to the mainstream DropBox type platforms. Here’s a refresher if you need it: What is Nextcloud? Nextcloud is a fork of ownCloud that’s quickly becoming the newer, better and faster-developed alternative to the self-hosted cloud storage software of old. It has every feature OwnCloud has to offer and more; if you’re an ownCloud user and have ever been frustrated by the dual licenses, the paid vs free model and – as part of it – lack of some of the better features, Nextcloud have gone completely FOSS (Free and Open-Source Software) following the Red Hat model of charging for enterprise support rather than enterprise features. Some of the previously enterprise-only features released as part of the standard FOSS Nextcloud installation include FileDrop, an alternative to Dropbox’s “File Requests”, two-factor authentication and LibreOffice online, an alternative to Google Docs or Office Online. In addition to recently announcing version 10, Nextcloud have worked with Canonical and WDLabs to bring to market the Nextcloud Box, a small (not quite fitlet-RM small but still), Raspberry Pi-powered, Snappy Ubuntu Core server with a 1TB WD PiDrive retailing currently for £60. I asked Nextcloud if I could get a review unit and a fortnight later it arrived at my door complete with a Raspberry Pi (not included on retail units). Unpacked it looks a little something like this:…