Hands on with the Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact

(Jason Bayton) #1

Originally published at: https://bayton.org/2017/12/hands-on-with-the-sony-xperia-xz1-compact/

Photos Photos in this post were taken with a Moto Z Play, and as you’ll see why when scrolling down, I don’t recommend the Z Play if you like decent pictures… After the Android enterprise device support testing, Sony let me keep hold of the Xperia XZ1 Compact for a while longer, and I figure since it’s been more than 5 months since I sat down with the Nokia 3, I’d take the XZ1 Compact for a spin as a consumer device, too! The XZ1 Compact is Sony’s miniature alternative to their new Xperia XZ1, a device I tested earlier that felt premium, well specced and was a delight to use (aside from my Nexus, was also the first device I saw ship with Android 8.0!). I therefore held high expectations for the XZ1 Compact, given the Compact line is intended to be a no-compromise alternative to devices some consumers deem too large. Hardware The photo above doesn’t do the XZ1 Compact screen any justice as the gaudy, poorly fitting screen protector is obscuring it, however the XZ1 Compact boasts a 4.6″, HD display housed within a 129 x 64 x 9.3mm frame. It feels small, yet solid given the chunky design and hard corners aligning with Sony’s familiar design language. The colours pop quite nicely, and of course benefit from Sony’s Triluminos display with a multitude of options for colour, brightness and enhancement controls. I quite like that the display can get both extremely bright and quite dim, something…