How a promoted tweet landed me on Finnish national news

Originally published at: https://bayton.org/2016/10/how-a-promoted-tweet-landed-me-on-finnish-national-news/

This isn’t something I’d usually write about as I like to reserve my career updates and whatnot for friends, family and occasionally LinkedIn. Then again, it’s not every day I end up featured in the news of a foreign country through my use of social media! After hearing I was being made redundant at the end of last week, I needed to fathom a way of simply and quickly putting myself in front of as many potential employers as I could with the least amount of hassle. Writing a CV and keeping profile information up to date on job sites is probably one of the most time consuming and mundane tasks of finding a new job. Naturally the more sites you keep updated, the more chance you have of being found by the right recruiter or hiring manager and so it’s a pretty tedious task to stay on top of. Yet staying on top of it is even more important when considering recruiters may be active on some sites but not others; even if they are active, they’re likely only looking for particular keywords when searching for candidates and the chances of being found aren’t always favourable. Logging on to the tens and tens of job sites (once I’d reset forgotten passwords to many of them, no doubt) and painstakingly updating my profile on each one to indicate I was looking for work, followed by spending hours searching high and low for suitable positions to apply for and… waiting… is not something I really wanted…