Introducing Nextcloud demo servers

Originally published at: https://bayton.org/2017/02/introducing-nextcloud-demo-servers/

I’ve previously written the very well-received Nextcloud guide offering one of the most complete start-to-finish installation guides available currently. I also reviewed the Nextcloud Box back in October and have since launched my Nextcloud hosting endeavour, but with my knowledge in virtualisation and Linux felt I could do more to give back to the project that serves me so well both personally and professionally. With that, today I’m launching a collection of demo servers offering completely vanilla installations of the most up-to-date versions of Nextcloud 9, 10 and 11. They’ll naturally be kept updated with point releases and when required I plan to launch new servers for Nextcloud 12, 13, etc. Obviously an official demo server already exists running the latest version for Nextcloud and also includes collabora integration, however there’s no harm in offering more than one option (on likely vastly different hardware) and the NC project doesn’t host demos of previous supported versions. The goal is to provide a testing ground for new and existing Nextcloud users, those locked to an older supported release due to corporate policy or politics (who may wish to present the benefits of a newer version without spinning up an instance), and to simply demonstrate the evolution of Nextcloud across major releases – the speed difference between version 11 and the older releases for example is very apparent. Each server has been set up using my guide and so benefits from caching via Redis & ACPu, SSL connectivity and pretty URLs. The servers are set to refresh on the hour,…