Live: Android Enterprise Partner Summit 2018

(Jason Bayton) #1

Questions? Comments? Click Sign Up to create an account (or sign in via one of the SSO providers listed) and you can leave a message below.

I welcome contributions to the feed also! If I miss an announcement jumping between the two tracks, feel free to mention it!

Update! I’ve put together a post covering highlights of the event in detail:

Live: MobileIron LIVE! 2018
(Jason Bayton) #2

(Jason Bayton) #3

Day 1 highlights:

1. Zero-touch EMM integration, offering the capability to view and managed zero-touch enabled devices right from within your EMM console, no logging in to partner.android.com/zerotouch required!

2. OEMconfig is potentially huge news, for the whole ecosystem. Enough so that I’ll likely put a blogpost together on this, but essentially this means OEMs can declare their APIs via an app with escalated privileges which can be configured using managed app configurations as with any other Android enterprise application utilising the Play API. No more waiting for EMMs to integrate APIs!

3. 30% more devices are being patched for security updates year-on-year. Android devices are becoming more and more secure all of the time.

4. “Project treble makes it easier to adapt new releases much faster” I said, this couldn’t be any truer seeing Android P beta released simultaneously to several devices across a range of OEMs today. When has that happened so effortlessly before?

5. There’s a lot of discussion around DA deprecation for good reason. Google have resources to help, but customers need to be migrating sooner rather than later.

6. Big push on the Android Management API (AMAPI). Zero-day support for platform management features and really nicely built into the device. Looks slick and should help partners across the globe spin up their own management platforms.

Day 2 highlights

1. DA deprecation was everywhere, more so than day 1

2. Expanded AER programme for more device types and partners

3. New features in P - big changes to accommodate advanced user management and actions

4. New deployment scenarios being considered for lighter-touch deployments (and others)

5. Android P beta hands-on, with the new navigation as well as the work-profile and other features. Farewell orange work badge. I’ll remember you (mostly because I’ll need to change my own AE colour schemes in docs). Profile switching in-app is super slick and just what we need. AND thanks to Project Treble it’s available on multiple devices!

6. A new kiosk (locktask) solution baked right into the device natively, no need to rely on EMM kiosks after P!

7. Managed Google Play iFrame updates bring more features whilst making it easier to use

Read on for the full breakdown update-by-update!

(Jason Bayton) #4

In and waiting.

Welcome to the Android enterprise Partner Summit 2018!

(Jason Bayton) #5

David Still opens the event!

Zero-touch growing organically, as is Android enterprise recommended (I didn’t get the figures before the slide changed).

(Jason Bayton) #6

10x growth of Android enterprise activations in the last year.

No public figures available as Google doesn’t make them available, but 10x something is pretty good.

(Jason Bayton) #7

380m Android phones ship in 2018 for business use.
65% corporate liable! Corporate liable doesn’t mean under management, that number is smaller.

(Jason Bayton) #8

Google say Android security is now outpacing iOS.
An obviously controversial statement :sweat_smile: (backed by Gartner though!)

(Jason Bayton) #9

More device types coming to AER, rugged, tablets… and wider ecosystem (SI’s and other partners).

Topical, here’s a pie chart of Android Enterprise Recommended status within organisations:

(Jason Bayton) #10

We’re talking about device admin deprecation now. This is going to be a key topic across the event.

(Jason Bayton) #11

Finishing off the intro and splitting into sessions shortly.
I’ll likely stick to the technical track mostly…

(Jason Bayton) #12

(Jason Bayton) #13

(Jason Bayton) #14

Andrei and Travis arrive on stage

(Jason Bayton) #15

IT spend on devices in 2018 estimated: $783B!
There’s a huge opportunity for AE and the partners to manage these devices.

(Jason Bayton) #16

The expectation of using multiple devices for business and personal is disappearing. This is why Google focuses so much on the work profile and data separation.

(Jason Bayton) #17

Google strongly believes work profile is the best way of managing BYOD deployments today (and I’d 100% agree!)

(Jason Bayton) #18

Lockscreen brute force can now require hardware-level compromise to be successful on Oreo devices due to improved hardware trust.

(Jason Bayton) #19

Talking up zero-touch… I’ve got my own write-up on that here - bytn.uk/zt

(Jason Bayton) #20