Long-term update: the fitlet-RM, a fanless industrial mini PC by Compulab

Originally published at: https://bayton.org/2017/03/long-term-update-the-fitlet-rm-a-fanless-industrial-mini-pc-by-compulab/

It’s been just over 250 days (or about 8 months) since I published my review of the fitlet-RM. At the time I was very impressed by the system, its versatility and being able to run a reasonably powerful PC completely passively cooled. It didn’t take long before I found the perfect use for it and given how critical it is to my home network today, I thought I’d revisit the fitlet-RM to shed some light on how I’ve gotten on with it. Around the time of publishing I was also looking to build myself a new router based on OPNsense (a pfsense fork). I’d tried a few options but ultimately wasn’t happy with anything due to noise, size or reliability. I figured the fitlet would be a viable option, so once I’d finished benchmarking it and hit publish on the review, I set to work on installing OPNsense. In terms of IO, the fitlet I received is the perfect machine for networking, with the single NIC on the back and 3 additional NICs through the facet card on the side, it offers more than enough ports for what I need – in fact today only two are in use; a NIC for internet and another for LAN going out to an access point (from which it connects via switch to the rest of my network). I’m saving the other two for when I begin experimenting with segmented LANs, a DMZ or other such experiments. In combination with the fit-Uptime, the fitlet has achieved over 99.999%…