MWC 2018: Android One, Oreo Go, Android Enterprise Recommended & Android enterprise

Originally published at: https://bayton.org/2018/03/mwc-2018-android-one-oreo-go-android-enterprise-recommended-android-enterprise/

2018 marks the first time I was able to attend Mobile World Congress. While a few topics appeared to feature heavily across the event – IoT, 5G, AR/VR and connected everything, and others – it was the sheer dominance of Android that truly captured my attention. Between the device launches, the Android Works, the Google & Android “offices” (because it certainly felt like a building within a building), the folks in white Google Assistant overalls roaming around, and Android marketing pretty much everywhere I looked, it was clear Google held nothing back this year. Android as a topic is a little broad though; what I noticed in particular centred significantly around the enterprise and specific Android editions, with the consumer introduction to Android Enterprise Recommended, potentially a new perception of Android One and the adoption of Oreo Go. Hello Android Enterprise Recommended One of the first stops I made at MWC was HMD Global, the company behind the Android-powered Nokia devices on the market today. While I’ll come back to them on Android One below, they were the first OEM I saw displaying their Android Enterprise Recommended badges against all three of their enterprise-ready devices, the Nokia 6 (2018), Nokia 7 Plus and Nokia 8 Sirocco. I spent a good amount of time discussing Nokia devices with Andrej Sonkin, GM of Enterprise Business at HMD. They’re a passionate company working very hard to build their enterprise story and were one of few OEMs I was able to have a lengthy…