Part 2 - Project Obsidian: Build day 1

(Jason Bayton) #1

Originally published at: https://bayton.org/2016/07/part-2-project-obsidian-build-day-1/

Just tuning in? This is a multi-part build log for Project Obsidian: a low power Ubuntu 16.04 LTS NAS & container server. You’re currently viewing part 2. Head over to the introduction for context and contents. Building the compute module As I’m still considering the storage aspect of Obsidian, I’m splitting the build into two halves; this half covers the top 915F housing the mini-ITX system and PSU, while the bottom 915R housing the storage will come later. For the sake of getting Obsidian up and running I have temporarily housed the 120GB SSD and a single 4TB disk in the 915F. These will relocate down to the 915R later. Build video I managed to get a half-decent build video sped up to 100fps. To do this I propped my Logitech C920 up on the highest object I could find and hoped for the best. The angle isn’t ideal but it’s relatively easy to follow the build. Here’s the video: Notes To begin with and prior to the recorded build I pre-installed the CPU and 16GB of RAM. Due to poor visibility I found it somewhat difficult to install the passive heatsink, opting in the end to screw by hand the two mounting screws just enough to confirm alignment before then pushing the heatsink down onto the chip. With the 915’s ability to remove basically every panel it was incredibly easy to work with the case, and being a mini-ITX board made it easier still. Cable management was not a goal during the build.…