Thoughts on BYOD

Originally published at: https://bayton.org/2014/02/thoughts-on-byod/

What is it? BYOD – Bring Your Own Device – is the enablement of employees to bring their own, personal devices to the workplace to access corporate networks and information in place of a traditional corporate PC or mobile device. BYOD is huge topic of conversation; it has been for a couple of years already. There are varying opinions on the subject, its merits in the workplace and whether or not there really are any true benefits to a BYOD-enabled environment. As an example, a study by Spiceworks from 2013 shows there is a lot of uptake in the SME sector, a sector where I’d expect to see this given the cost of hardware and difficulties leveraging the bulk deals with hardware vendors commonly seen in large enterprises. On the other hand, some IT Pros are convinced BYOD is doomed before it’s even had a chance to establish itself. Even posts I’ve written on Google Plus on this subject have seen views from both sides of the argument. Since the topic has cropped up a few times in the last week around the web, it has led me to think about it. Personally I support the idea of BYOD, I do however appreciate it isn’t as black and white as it is sometimes portrayed. From following the topic for some time, I’ve seen two oft-suggested benefits to BYOD: Cost savings. Flexibility to use a wide variety of devices for employees. Off the back of those, I think there are a…