Wandera review 2016: 2 years on

Originally published at: https://bayton.org/2016/12/wandera-review-2016-2-years-on/

Back in 2014 I came across a new, powerful and totally unique solution to the growing problem of telecoms expense management (TEM) in the enterprise: Wandera. It offered unparalleled insight into data usage across the corporate mobile estate and helped tremendously in the never-ending quest to monitor and control data usage both at home and abroad. At the time I said: I’m really, really impressed by how the solution works and how theoretically easy Wandera makes it to manage devices. Considering at the moment I’ve got very little insight into how users use their allocated data on a monthly basis, Wandera really appeals to me. It wasn’t perfect however, missing functionality I felt made bulk-deployment something of a challenge; even adding additional administrators required a ticket to be raised with Wandera support. For the benefits Wandera offered though, I was willing to mostly overlook the drawbacks for what was otherwise a fantastic new service with a lot of potential. As it turns out, being a simple data monitoring solution wasn’t enough for the good people of Wandera; not too long after my first review they announced they were entering the security sector. Today, two years later and after pivoting their focus to mobile threat defense, let’s see what’s changed, what’s remained the same and where there’s still room for improvement. How does Wandera work? Unlike typical EMM platforms with TEM built in or even popular data monitoring applications that estimate and/or periodically report data usage, Wandera acts as a proxy (or “gateway”), taking…